Winter break is almost here! Students have been given homework for today, the 19th, and January 5th. They return to classes on January 6th. I will be getting all grades completed in the gradebook today, so if you are curious to see your childs grades, they will be up to date this afternoon. Some students requested extra credit, which I will include after the assignments. If students choose to complete the extra credit, it will need to be turned in the day they return to class from break, January 6th.
Read “Tales of Islam” and complete graphic organizer Tales of Islam
Grammar worksheet, misplaced and dangling modifiers Misplaced and dangling modifiers worksheet
Vocabulary: mob/mot/mov and brev/cede/ceed/cess Vocabulary 3
Extra Credit, due 1/6. Write a summary using “Tales of Islam” and the graphic organizer
Students should also choose and start reading a new book. They will be completing another book talk on January 29th
For those of you who celebrate Christmas and New Years, I would like to say Merry Christmas and have a happy New Year!
I wanted to mention that the work below represents school work for 4 school days–this Thursday and Friday (12/18 &12/19) as well as the Monday and Tuesday following Winter Break (1/5 & 1/6). If you have any questions over break don’t hesitate to call or email me. It is my hope that you all have a lovely break filled with family, joy and happiness! I look forward to seeing everyone next year! 🙂
- Classwork: PEMDAS, PEMDAS journal, fantastic 4
- Homework: PEMDAS or Order of Operations (pemdas homework), students are responsible for only evens on the first page of the packet.
- Classwork: DRY ICE…fun with making clouds….
- Homework: 1. Climate Project due 1/7 My Country’s climate ; students might want to review p. 520-526 to help with their Climate Project.
- Classwork: Vocabulary Test and Mrs. James reviews templates for persuasion paper; introduce Dragonwings
- Homework: 1.Read Chapter 1 of Dragonwings. dragnwings ch. 1 Write 2 text-dependent questions from the chapter and include the answers. Write down 2 quotes from the chapter and why they are significant 2. Literature Scavenger Hunt (literature scavenger hunt) 3. Persuasion template-take information from graphic organizer and begin organizing paper- write down claims with evidence (persuasive paper packet)
Prepare for Book Talk Presentation to be given on Thursday Book Talk Directions (3)
Vocabulary, word roots Vocabulary struct, tract, vinc
Read 1001 Arabian Nights and Ali Baba and complete graphic organizer 1001 Arabian Nights and graphic organizer
Well, I hope everybody has weathered the storm okay! We had several absences in class due to the storm, but many still slogged through the rain to make it to class, although it was hard to concentrate with the rain and wind blowing against the window pane. It made for an exciting morning!
In class we completed an assignment and read “Kyle’s Story” and “Jack the Half-Wit” and we compared and contrasted the two. Compare and contrast Kyles story blog and Jack the half wit This was a graded class assignment.
Homework, students need to read “‘Happy’ dance video shows dispute over Western culture in Iran” and complete chart. They need to complete a first read for the “gist” and then a second read to come up with a text dependent question, then they need to look for evidence to answer their question. After that, they need to tell more about their evidence, and then make a claim, based on their evidence. Happy Dance article and evidence from the text
Spelling 1 Spelling 1-6
Spelling 2 Spelling 2-6
Spelling 3 Spelling 3-6
Spelling 4 Spelling list 4-6
Word Roots activity Word roots activity
Textbook reading, page 70-71, and answer questions on page 71
History textbook, pages 66-69, #1-5
Read “Utah 15-Year Old Suspended after Dyeing Her Hair a ‘Distracting’ Red” article. Distracting red article
Complete Compare and Contrast Graphic Organizer. Use poem from Blue Lipstick concrete poems found on Amazon preview. Compare and Contrast genres graphic organizer